This recipe really is quite easy. First, I combined all of the wet ingredients along with the brown sugar and mixed well. The recipe in the book does not call for brown sugar, but I feel like it's a crucial ingredient in pumpkin bread, so I added it and adjusted the amount of agave nectar.
I then whisked all of the remaining dry ingredients together and stirred them into the wet mixture. The batter just about filled up the prepared pan:
This recipe bakes at two temperatures: 30 minutes at 350 degrees, and then after turning the pan, it bakes for an additional 30 minutes at 325 degrees. It's a bit of a time commitment, but it's so worth it! 60 minutes of baking fills the kitchen with some fabulous aromas! The finished bread is delicious topped with some vegan margarine, or my new discovery - Earth Balance Coconut Spread. Mmmmm - now that's what fall tastes like!
Shared on: Gracelaced Mondays, Gluten-free Monday, Slightly Indulgent Tuesday, Tasteful Tuesdays, Allergy-Free Wednesdays, Tastetastic Thursday
Allergy-free Pumpkin Bread
(1 9x5 loaf)
1/2 c canola oil
1/2 c light agave nectar
1/2 c light brown sugar
1 t vanilla
1 1/2 c (15 oz can) pumpkin puree
1 t ground cinnamon
1/2 t ground nutmeg
1/4 t ground ginger
3 c Gluten-free flour mix (6:2:1, Superfine brown rice flour, potato starch, tapioca flour)
3/4 t xanthan gum
1 1/2 t baking soda
1/2 t salt
1/2 c pumpkin seeds (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9x5 inch loaf pan, sprinkle with gluten-free flour.
- In a medium bowl, combine the first 3 ingredients and mix well.
- Add the pumpkin, cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger and mix for 30 seconds.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, xanthan gum, baking soda, and salt.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix for about 30 seconds. Fold in the pumpkin seeds.
- Pour batter into prepared loaf pan. Bake for 30 minutes, rotate pan, reduce temperature to 325 degrees, and bake an additional 30-35 minutes or until the top is golden brown and a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool for 20 minutes in the pan before transferring to a cooling rack.