Since chocolate chip cookies are probably one of the most popular baked goods, I thought I should include a post with my allergy-free version. These cookies are gluten-free, dairy-free, egg-free, and nut-free. They last about 2 days at my house, enjoyed by those with and without food allergies.
The first thing I do is make my 'egg' mixture with ground flax and let it sit for a few minutes and thicken. Meanwhile, I cream together the shortening and sugars. For some reason, I prefer mixing this dough by hand, but you could use a mixer as well. Once the 'egg' has thickened, I stir it and the vanilla into the creamed sugars until it's nice and fluffy.:
The next step is to whisk together the remaining dry ingredients and mix them into the dough. After the chocolate chips are stirred in, I form the dough into 1 1/2 inch balls and place them on a cookie sheet at least 2 inches apart.
The cookies are baked in a 350 degree oven for 10-12 minutes, depending on how crunchy you like them to be. Gluten-free baked goods tend to dry out pretty quickly, so I prefer 10 minutes. I hope you and your family enjoy these as much as we do!
Chocolate Chip Cookies (GF, V)
(makes about 36 cookies)Ingredients:
1 c vegetable shortening (I like Spectrum)
1 c sugar
3/4 c brown sugar
2 'eggs' (2 T ground flax + 6 T water)
2 t vanilla
1 1/2 c gluten-free flour (I like 6:2:1 Superfine brown rice flour, potato starch, tapioca flour)
2/3 c oat flour (you can grind yourself with gluten-free oats)
1 t baking soda
1 t baking powder
1 t salt
1/2 t xanthan gum
2 c dairy-free chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- In a small bowl, combine the ground flax and water and let sit for a few minutes to thicken. Cream together the shortening and sugars in a large bowl.
- Add the 'eggs' and vanilla to the creamed sugars. Mix well until the dough is fluffy.
- Whisk together the flours, baking powder, baking soda, xanthan gum, and salt. Add the dry mixture to the sugar mixture until well combined. Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Form the dough into 1 1/2 inch balls and place on a cookie sheet about 2" apart. Bake 10-12 minutes.