Whether or not you have food allergies, you will LOVE these allergy-free pumpkin scones. I mean, you can't go wrong with a flavor combo of pumpkin, cinnamon, and maple. When my oldest son (who has no food allergies) took a bite, his response was, 'Oh my gosh.....oh my GOSH! These are good!!'
These scones take about 15 minutes to prepare. You start by whisking together all of the dry ingredients and then cutting in the butter with a pastry knife. Before I cut it in, I chop it up into small pieces.:
The pumpkin, yogurt, and 'egg' are then mixed together and combined with the flour mixture. The dough is then formed into a disk on a GF-flour dusted surface and cut into 8 triangles.
The triangles are placed on a parchment-covered cookie sheet, with an inch or two between each one. If you look closely, you can see some lovely little bits of vegan butter. These will help create a nice, flaky scone.
While the scones are cooking, I mix up the maple glaze and then drizzle it on the warm scones as soon as I take them out of the oven.
Shared on: Gracelaced Mondays, Gluten-free Monday, Slightly Indulgent Tuesday, Tasteful Tuesday, Allergy free Wednesdays, Tastetastic Thursday, Gluten Free Fridays
Pumpkin Scones with Maple Glaze
(makes 8 scones)
1/3 c brown sugar
2 c gluten-free flour (I used 1 c sorghum, 1/2 c millet, 1/2 c oat)
1 t baking powder
1/4 t baking soda
1/2 t xanthan gum
1/2 t salt
1 t cinnamon
1/2 t nutmeg
1/4 t ginger
1/8 t cloves
8 T vegan butter, chilled (I use Earth Balance)
1/2 c pumpkin puree
3 T vegan yogurt
1 'egg' (1 T ground flax or chia + 3 T water)
1 c powdered sugar
2 T maple syrup
1/2 t vanilla
1 T dairy-free creamer (we use coconut)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Whisk together all of the dry ingredients.
- Cut in the vegan butter with a pastry knife until the mixture has pea-sized crumbs.
- In a small bowl, combine the pumpkin, yogurt, and 'egg.' Stir pumpkin mixture into the flour mixture until just combined.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly GF-floured surface. Shape into a 7 inch circle, approximately 3/4 inch thick, and cut into 8 equal pieces. With space between each triangle, place on a parchment covered baking sheet. Bake 15-17 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine all of the glaze ingredients and whisk until smooth. Drizzle glaze over warm scones. Eat and enjoy!