Traditional breakfast options are pretty limited when you can't eat dairy, eggs, or wheat. This morning, my daughter was wanting some banana bread, and thankfully my fruit bowl contained three very ripe bananas.
I followed an allergy-free banana bread recipe from 'The Complete Allergy-Free Comfort Foods Cookbook: Every Recipe Is Free of Gluten, Dairy, Soy, Nuts, and Eggs ' by Elizabeth Gordon. I must take some time to plug this cookbook. It's full of super-yummy allergy-free recipes for common comfort foods.
This recipe makes quite a bit of dough which filled up a 9x5 bread pan:
After baking at 325 for 70 minutes, here is the final product - delicious!:
Gluten-Free Vegan Banana Bread
1 1/2 c Chinese or Superfine Rice Flour
1/2 c potato starch
1/4 c sorghum flour
1 t cinnamon
1 t baking powder
1 t baking soda
1 t xanthan gum
1/2 c organic palm fruit oil shortening
1/2 c sugar
1/2 c brown sugar
1/2 c applesauce
3 large, very ripe bananas, mashed
1 T cider vinegar
- Preheat oven to 325, lightly grease a 9x5-inch loaf pan.
- Whisk together first 7 dry ingredients.
- Cream together the shortening and sugars until fluffy. Beat in the applesauce and mashed bananas. Mix well, then stir in the cider vinegar.
- Stir the dry mixture slowly into the wet mixture until thoroughly combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake 70 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool bread in the pan for 15 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely before slicing.