This time of year, canned pumpkin seems to be abundant. One of my kids' favorite pumpkin baked goods is pumpkin bread. I prefer to bake sweetbread in the form of muffins, mainly to keep me from eating half of the loaf, one slice at a time. Plus, muffins seem to be the perfect serving size, and more importantly, they're done in 1/3 the time! This pumpkin bread contains no eggs or dairy and can easily be made gluten-free by substituting your favorite gluten-free flour mix for the all-purpose flour.
This bread contains oat flour, which in my opinion, helps to make it moist and tender. You can purchase it at the store or simply make it yourself if you have a spice/coffee grinder. I keep one on hand for grinding grains and spices. I just measure out the amount of oats in the recipe and grind them up until they are a fine powder.
Aside from grinding up oat flour, this bread is very easy to prepare. I just mix the dry ingredients together in a large bowl...
...then I combine all of the wet ingredients in a small bowl....
...and finally combine the two together.
For muffins, I fill each cup about 2/3 full.
After baking for 18-20 minutes, the muffins are done and ready to be slathered with your favorite butter. Enjoy!
Pumpkin Maple Bread
(makes 1 loaf or 12 muffins)
- 1 c all-purpose flour (can use GF flour blend)*
- 3/4 c oat flour
- 3/4 c light brown sugar
- 1 t baking soda
- 1/2 t baking powder
- 1/2 t salt
- 1 t cinnamon
- 1/2 t nutmeg
- 1/2 t allspice
- 1 c pumpkin puree
- 1/2 c oil (flavorless)
- 3 T maple syrup
- 4 T water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease your loaf pan or muffin tin.
- In a large bowl, mix together all of the dry ingredients with a whisk.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the pumpkin, oil, maple syrup, and water.
- Pour the wet mixture into the dry mixture and stir with a wooden spoon. Batter will be pretty thick!
- Pour the batter into either a loaf pan or evenly into a 12 muffin tin.
- Bake for 45-50 min (loaf pan) or 18-20 min (muffin tin) or until the top(s) are browned and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow bread or muffins to cool for 10-15 minutes before removing from the pan.
*for high altitude, add 1/4 c extra flour