Do you have lots of people at your house during the Holidays? How about anyone with a dairy or nut allergy? Here is a delicious recipe for a dairy-free, nut-free caramel popcorn that will keep everyone happy.
Start with 12 cups of popped corn. We use an air-popper, but you can use the stovetop method or any other favorite popcorn-popping method. It's best to not use microwave popcorn because it already contains flavoring.
Here's my secret weapon: Himalayan Pink Salt. It's typically pretty pricey, but I found this grinder at Trader Joe's for less than $2. Himalayan pink salt is full of minerals and adds a wonderful flavor to any dish. In this caramel corn, I add it to the caramel AND I sprinkle it on top of the coated corn before baking.
Simply boil the butter (Earth Balance), sugar and maple syrup for 5 minutes. This boils off the water and allows the candy to reach the stage where it will set up nicely.
Once the mixture is done boiling, remove it from the heat and stir in the baking soda, salt and vanilla. Stir it into the popcorn, coating it well.
Spread the popcorn out onto two greased baking sheets and bake for 30 minutes. That's it!
After letting the popcorn cool for about 10 minutes, you can break it up and eat away. The coating is really more like a praline than a caramel - kind of crunchy but also melts in your mouth. It can be stored in an airtight container. But seriously, our family ate all 12 cups in one night. Maybe we should double the recipe next time!
Vegan Salted Caramel Corn
- 12 c popcorn popped
- 1/2 c (1 stick) vegan butter (I used Earth Balance)
- 1 c light brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 c maple syrup
- 3/4 t Himalayan pink salt, divided
- 1/2 t baking soda
- 1 t vanilla
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees. Lightly grease 2 baking sheets.
- Remove any un-popped kernels from the popcorn. This can be done by simply scooping the popcorn out of the bowl and leaving the remaining kernels.
- Boil the butter, sugar, and maple syrup in a medium saucepan for 5 minutes.
- Remove the caramel from the heat and stir in 1/2 t of the salt, the baking soda, and the vanilla.
- Immediately pour the caramel over the popcorn and stir well with a spatula, coating all pieces.
- Spread the coated corn onto the prepared baking sheets and sprinkle with 1/4 t salt.
- Bake for 30 minutes, cool for 10, enjoy!
Shared on: Gluten Free Friday