I'm always so thrilled when a culinary experiment turns out to be a delicious treat. I was wanting to make some gingerbread for my daughter, and I combined ideas from several recipes to create this allergy-free version. It is wonderful baked in a traditional 9x9-inch pan, and it even works well as gingerbread mini-muffins - perfect for a Christmas party treat!
The shortening and sugar are creamed in a separate bowl. I've learned that this is an important step in adding air to the recipe. Be sure to use an electric mixer and cream for 2 minutes.
After creaming, the molasses is added in:
Then, the flour mixture is mixed in. The batter should be quite thick.
The hot water is added and mixed in until the batter is smooth. The very last step is to stir in the vinegar, which will react with the baking soda to help give the cake more lift.
I baked this version in a greased 9x9-inch pan, but you could also use a mini-muffin pan and adjust the baking time. Before serving, dust the top with some powdered sugar, and try to not eat the whole thing at once!
Shared on: Gluten-free Mondays, Gracelaced Mondays, Slightly Indulgent Tuesday, Allergy Free Wednesday, Gluten Free Fridays, Allergy-friendly Friday
(makes 1 9x9-inch cake or 30 mini-muffins)
- 1/2 c dairy-free, soy-free shortening (I use Spectrum)
- 1/3 c sugar
- 3/4 c molasses
- 2 1/3 c gluten-free flour mix
- 1/2 t xanthan gum (omit if flour mix contains gum)
- 1 t ground cinnamon
- 1 t ground ginger
- 1/2 t ground cloves
- 1 1/2 t baking soda
- 1/2 t salt
- 1 c hot water
- 1 T apple cider vinegar
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Using some shortening, grease either an 9x9-inch pan or a mini-muffin pan.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour mix, xanthan gum, spices, soda, and salt.
- In a large bowl, cream together the shortening and sugar for 2 minutes. Mix in the molasses.
- Blend the dry ingredients into the creamed mixture. Stir in the hot water until the batter is smooth, then stir in the vinegar.
- Immediately pour the batter into the prepared pan. If using an 9x9-inch pan, bake for 35-40 minutes. If using a mini-muffin pan, bake for 15-17 minutes. Dust with powdered sugar before serving.