My mom hosted an early Thanksgiving dinner this year, and she asked me to make a gluten-free, egg-free, dairy-free version of our traditional stuffing. She had found a great recipe on Martha Stewart's website that she wanted me to make allergy-free. The first thing I had to do was find a gluten-free cornbread recipe to use, and I ended up using this one with the egg-replacer substitution.
To make the stuffing, the first step is to brown the sausage. I chose a pork breakfast sausage.:
Once the sausage is browned, add the celery, onions, and a little bit of water to the pan and cook until they are soft. The vegetables are then added to the sausage:
To help the cornbread mix well into the stuffing, cut it into a 3/4-inch dice before adding it to the bowl, along with the flax mixture and sage. Add enough broth to make the mixture moist but not wet.
Transfer the stuffing to the baking dish and bake for about 45 minutes:
Everyone in our family thoroughly enjoyed this recipe and thought it tasted just like the non-allergy-free version. I say that makes it a success!
Shared on: Allergy Friendly Friday, Guten Free Monday, Gracelaced Mondays, Somewhat Simple Thanksgiving Linkup, Tasteful Tuesdays, Allergy Free Wednesdays
Allergy-free Cornbread Sausage Stuffing
- 1 lb fresh pork sausage, crumbled
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 ribs celery, finely chopped
- 2 lbs prepared GF cornbread, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 3 T finely chopped fresh sage
- 3 T ground flax*
- 1/2 c water
- 1-2 c chicken broth
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large nonstick skillet, cook sausage over medium-high heat, stirring often, until browned and cooked through, 5 to 8 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Combine ground flax and water in a small bowl and let sit until it becomes gelatinous.
- To pan, add onion, celery, and 1/4 cup water. Reduce heat to medium; cook, scraping up browned bits with a wooden spoon, until vegetables soften, about 10 minutes. Season generously with salt and pepper. Add to sausage.
- Add cornbread, sage, and flax mixture to sausage and vegetables. Bring broth to a simmer in a small saucepan; pour 1 cup over stuffing, and toss gently (cornbread will break down into smaller pieces). If needed, add up to 1 cup more broth, until stuffing feels moist, but not wet.
Transfer stuffing to a large baking dish, and bake 45-50 minutes or until nicely browned.
*If there is no egg allergy, use 3 eggs instead of the flax mixture