When I came across this recipe on Pinterest, I knew right away I had to come up with an allergy-free version (no dairy, eggs, or wheat). Well, I'm happy to say my first experiment worked beautifully (and deliciously)! They are so chock-full of veggies and very little sugar, you will feel great about giving these to your children. Really, I'm not sure why they are called 'Toddler Muffins' as anyone will enjoy these!
The first step in this recipe is to make the 'eggs.' In a small bowl, mix together 2 Tablespoons ground flax seed with 6 Tablespoons water. After it sits for a few minutes, it will become gelatinous, which will mimic the moisture of eggs. For the batter, simply cream the shortening and brown sugar together, and then stir in the mashed bananas, grated carrots, squash, and 'eggs.' It quickly becomes a colorful batter.:
The dry ingredients are then whisked together and added to the batter. Once the cider vinegar is added, the batter becomes nice and fluffy. It is scooped, 1 rounded Tablespoon at a time, into a prepared mini muffin tin and baked in a 375 degree oven for 15-17 minutes.:
Look at those beauties! They are delicious all by themselves, but I really like them with a bit of vegan margarine and a bit of cinnamon sugar or honey. Mmmmmm!
Shared on: Gluten-free Wednesdays, Real Food Wednesday, Tastetastic Thursday, Gluten-free Fridays, Healthy Vegan Fridays
Allergy-free Toddler Muffins
(makes 24-30 mini muffins)Ingredients:
1/2 c dairy-free, soy-free vegetable shortening
1/2 c brown sugar
2 bananas, mashed
1 4-oz jar baby squash
2 carrots, grated
2 'eggs' (2 T ground flax + 6 T water)
1 c Gluten-free flour mix (I use 6:2:1 Superfine brown rice flour, potato starch, tapioca flour)
1/2 c sorghum flour
1 1/4 t baking soda
1 t pumpkin pie spice
1/2 t salt
1/2 t xanthan gum
1 T cider vinegar
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Prepare mini muffin tin by spraying with oil and dusting with GF flour.
- Prepare the 'eggs' and allow a few minutes to thicken.
- Cream together the shortening and brown sugar. Stir in the bananas, squash, carrots, and 'eggs' and mix well.
- Whisk together all of the dry ingredients and stir into the batter. Stir in the cider vinegar.
- Scoop by rounded Tablespoons into the mini muffin tin.
- Bake for 15-17 minutes. Let cool in the pan for 10 minutes and enjoy!