This past weekend, my daughter asked if she could help make a coffee cake out of Cybele Pascal's book, 'The Allergen-Free Baker's Handbook.' Since everything we've made out of there has been fabulous, I knew we couldn't go wrong.
Let me just say, you will want to make this for your family breakfast this weekend. It's so good! At our house it was gone within 24 hours, enjoyed by everyone, but especially by our kids.
I began by first making the crumb topping, using a pastry knife, mixing until I had a pea-sized crumb. The recipe calls for vegetable shortening, and for a crumb topping, I prefer a flavorful one like Earth Balance Vegan Buttery Sticks (you can find it at Whole Foods):
I mixed vegan yogurt with the vinegar and set aside. This basically makes a nice, thick vegan buttermilk. Then, I creamed together the shortening, sugar, egg replacer, vanilla until it was fluffy.
As usual, the dry ingredients were whisked together and then stirred into the fluffy batter, alternating with the yogurt mixture. I then spooned the batter into the prepared pan and topped with the crumb mixture. It was baked at 325 degrees for 45 minutes.
You know you want a piece of that golden brown, crumbly deliciousness. I guarantee nobody will be able to tell that this wonderful coffee cake is vegan and gluten-free!
Shared on: Slightly Indulgent Tuesday, Allergy-Free Wednesdays, Tastetastic Thursday, Gluten-free Fridays
Recipe: (from Cybele Pascal's 'The Allergen-Free Baker's Handbook')
Allergy-free Coffee Cake
(makes 1, 9x9" cake)
3/4 c gluten-free flour mix
1/4 t xanthan gum
1/4 t kosher salt
1/2 c light brown sugar, packed
1/2 t ground cinnamon
1/4 c vegan margarine, chilled and cut into pieces (I like Earth Balance)
2 c gluten-free flour mix
1/2 t xanthan gum
1 t baking powder
1 t baking soda
1 t salt
1 c vanilla vegan yogurt
1 t cider vinegar
1/2 c dairy-free, soy-free vegetable shortening@room temperature
1 c sugar
1 T Ener-G Egg Replacer , mixed with 1/4 c dairy-free milk
1 t vanilla
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Grease a 9x9-inch pan and sprinkle with a little gluten-free flour mix
- Make the crumb topping: whisk together the flour mix, xanthan gum, salt, brown sugar, and cinnamon. Cut in the chilled margarine with a pastry knife until you have a pea-sized crumb. Set aside.
- Combine the vegan yogurt and vinegar. Set aside
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the first 5 cake ingredients.
- In a large bowl, cream together the shortening, sugar, egg replacer, and vanilla. Beat for about 2 minutes on medium speed until light and fluffy. Add the flour mixture in three parts, alternating with the yogurt, beginning and ending with the flour. Beat until just combined.
- Spoon the thick batter into the prepared pan and smooth out the surface. Sprinkle the crumb topping evenly over the top.
- Bake in the center of the oven for 45 minutes, or until the top is golden and the cake springs back when touched lightly.
- Cool in the pan for 15 minutes. You can eat this out of the pan or, for a nice presentation, invert the cake onto a large plate, cover with a cooling rack, and re-invert onto the rack crumb-side up. Let cool completely. Sift with powdered sugar over the top, and cut into squares.