I'll list the whole recipe and instructions at the end of this post. Here are the ingredients I used:
Next, I whisked together the dry ingredients and creamed the margarine and sugar with a wooden spoon. Once creamed, I added the flax seed mixture and stirred until it was smooth:
Before adding the blueberries, I tossed them with a little flour so they wouldn't turn the batter into a purple blob once they were folded in. My batter ended up pretty purple, probably due to the fact that I used frozen wild blueberries, which bleed a lot. Oh well, a little purple coffee cake never hurt anyone.
I poured the batter into a prepared 8x8" pan, mixed the streusel topping, and sprinkled it on top of the batter:
After baking in a 350 degree oven for 45-50 minutes, it was ready to be gobbled down! My kids have been known to eat the entire pan in 1 day.
This recipe could be easily adapted to be gluten-free by using your favorite all-purpose gluten-free flour instead of the whole wheat pastry flour.
Blueberry Crumb Cake
4 T Earth Balance margarine, softened
1 1/2 c whole wheat pastry flour (+ 1/4 c more for high altitude)
1 1/2 t baking powder
1/2 t baking soda
1/4 t salt
1/4 t ground allspice
3/4 c sugar
1 'egg' (1T ground flax + 3 T water)
1/4 c 'buttermilk' (splash of lemon juice + 1/4 c coconut milk)
3/4 c blueberries (I used frozen, wild)
1 c whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 c light brown sugar, packed
1/2 t cinnamon
1/4 t salt
1/2 c (1 stick) cold Earth Balance margarine, cut into tablespoons
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees; grease and flour an 8x8" pan.
- Prepare the 'egg' and 'buttermilk' in two small bowls.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and allspice.
- In another bowl, cream together the margarine and sugar. Add the 'egg' and mix until combined.
- Add the flour mixture and 'buttermilk' in alternating batches, beginning and ending with the flour. Batter will be very stiff.
- In a small bowl, toss the blueberries with a teaspoon of flour, fold them into the batter, and pour the batter into the prepared pan. Sprinkle evenly with the streusel topping (directions below), covering the batter completely. Do not press in.
- Bake until golden brown, and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 45 to 50 minutes. Cool and enjoy!
- In a medium bowl, mix the flour, sugar, cinnamon, and salt.
- Using your fingers, work in the margarine until large, moist crumbs form. Make sure the crumbs are large so they form a crisp topping as the cake bakes instead of melting into the batter.
Shared on: Healthy Vegan Friday